Who's On My Mind!!
So, what I think about the most these days I was thinking.. You see we human beings think a lot. Robin Sharma has mentioned in one of his books that an average human being thinks about 65,000 thoughts in a day. And 85% of those thoughts are the same as yesterday. But these days, my today’s thoughts are not only same as yesterday but also same as what I have been thinking since past few weeks or may be months. I have a son who is no longer a baby but a TODDLER!!!! WOOHOO!! And he’s changing and growing every day and every moment.
Garv, who needed my assistance for everything he
did, no longer seems to enjoy the fact of me assisting him. Suddenly he has got so much confidence in
himself that he wants to do everything on his own. And he, also tries to do the
same things we do. Like when my husband is vacuuming the house, he wants to do
it too. When I am turning on the light of temple, he wants to do it too. And he
has become an expert in imitating. This is of course a good part. I and my
husband get a good dose of laugh when he does it. Like, while I am gargling
after brushing my teeth, outside he does the same and my husband just cannot
control his laugh…
Yes, there’s a lot of development taking place in
my baby’s, oops pardon me, toddler’s life. But living with a toddler is not
always fun. There are moments of frustration when we cannot understand, however
hard we try, what will make him happy. I get very scared when he tries to do
things beyond his capacity and I keep running behind him shouting ‘No’ ‘No’
‘No’, ‘Don’t do this’, ‘Don’t do that’. But he just won’t listen and when I
suspect danger, I have to forcefully lift him with all my strength. Of course
he doesn’t like it and I don’t like it either.
To understand how to handle such situations, I
have been reading a lot to gain wisdom from experts. I am reading ‘The Baby
book’, and keep checking ‘BabyCenter’ website for weekly development taking
place in Garv’s life. I want to really understand what all is going on inside
him. I realized that maximum development happens during 18 months of age and
that is the reason toddlers feel so confident about being able to do anything
during this age. Earlier I used to feel, it’s only my son. May be he is
super-active kind of kid. But after reading, I have realized whatever my son is
doing is an absolute normal behavior. And that made me laugh to realize all
kids are the same. On the other hand, if I think, the parents of quiet kids
must also be worrying about their kids not being participative enough. So I
have realized that I should be thankful that Garv is growing and learning so
many things.
The biggest challenge, however, is the language.
Until he gets words to describe his feelings, it is going to be tough for us as
well as him. Nevertheless, it’s not so bad. We are able to understand most of
the time what he wants. And between two to two and a half years, they should
add lots of words to their vocabulary and this phase of tantrums should
definitely subside. Wow, that’s such a relief!!
Until then, we have to be patient. We have to
give words to Garv’s feelings. Even though we understand his gestures, we have
to describe in words what he was trying to say. And we have to even verbalize
his anger and causes of his anger.
Yes, talking to other parents and reading is
definitely helping. And this is also the phase, which shall pass. One thing I
want myself to never forget is that Garv’s world is me and Kamlesh. He’s
entirely dependent on us for every single thing. And we have to provide him
utmost security. And first five formative years are very crucial in shaping
your baby’s value system. The moments of frustration and expression of anger
can leave an impact on his subconscious mind. Of course, we have to instill
discipline in him, but through assertive ways. Discipline and unconditional
love is the key to raising a happy child.
After reading this long post, you must have
realized that it’s Garv and mostly Garv on my mind these days!!
Parenting is an exciting job!!
Comments
Post a Comment