ToastMasters P6 Speech

The Odyssey
------------------------
It's a Friday and I have well planned my day. Planning as they say is always required if you want to take control of your day, right? Sure, it soundddsss right. But believe me, sometimes you have to confront things that otherwise look fine. So as I was saying, it is a Friday and I have started implementing my work as per what I have planned. And everything is going soooo smoothly; I am well on track, WOW!! I feel so content and so proud of myself.  And I have planned to leave office at around 4 pm.  So that I can catch a cab at 5 pm that will drop me to Pune station.  And I have to board a train to Mumbai that will depart at 5:55 pm. Okay; I personally feel the planning was very well done from my side. I did leave office at 4 pm, reached home at 4:30 pm. Cab is booked for 5 pm. Wow; I still have half an hour to relaxxxxx, to unwinddddd. You see, once your weekend starts you start enjoying each and every free moment you get. And my husband, who I normally have to follow up with to reach home on time also reached home by 4:30. I thought wow; it's going pretty well today.
My husband gave a call to cab company to confirm that cab will pick us up at 5 pm. And the female representative confirmed that yes; your cab will be there at sharp 5 pm. (Take a pause) Okay, so it’s 5:10 pm now. And cab has not turned up yet. And we are no longer enjoying our free moments of a weekend. No call from cab driver, its 5:10 already, what should we do now, we started thinking. We called Cab Company again to check the status of cab. And we get to know that our cab will reach us late by 20 minutes and the driver was currently at Pune airport. (Loudly) We were dumbstruck on hearing that. (With surprised look) Didn't the representative know this when he called up earlier to check the status. Or they are just told to take customer in confidence when they call first time to check status. It’s completely crazy of them we started thinking. And sometimes it had happened so we had booked a cab for 4:45 pm and on those days the cab turned up at 4:30 pm. Yeah, 15 minutes earlier and they charge us extra if we ask them to wait. So why not today? When we were ready on time, why wasn't the cab ready? Anyways, we had to think of alternate plan now if actually intend to reach Mumbai. And why we wouldn't want to, we had paid for the tickets.
To try our luck, we did call up couple of other cab companies to check if they can arrange a cab quickly. But nope, the day that was going great till 5 pm didn't look so great now. None of the cab company agreed to help us. And we were out there in Magarpatta city trying to catch a rickshaw. And all pune-ites would agree catching a rickshaw and convincing them to take you to station and that too as per meter is a very hard thing to do. It was 5:25 already. I thought let's call up cab driver once to check where he has reached. To our amazement, he said he was just about to reach there. And yes, finally we heaved a sigh of relief. (Take a pause and Start Loud)
And our journey in the cab that was scheduled to start at 5 pm actually started at 5:25 pm. And for those who must have forgotten, I would like to remind that we had a train to board at 5:55 pm. Even though the car was pretty comfortable, we couldn't enjoy that comfort as our eyes were continuously stuck on the watch. After covering some distance, we discovered that road we normally take was completely blocked by traffic. And we had no option but to take another route. As I was saying earlier, sometimes we have to confront things that otherwise looked fine.
And to add to our irritation, the cab driver kept asking my husband at frequent intervals - sir you have to go to station, right? I started thinking in my mind - was he actually dumb or he was thinking that we might just change our decision and ask him to directly take us to Mumbai!! Okay it was 5:45 and we were still in cab, completely unsure whether we'll make it to station on time. At 5:50 pm our cab journey of 25 minutes that actually looked like 25 hours came to an end. My husband had cash ready as we had to quickly rush. And we expected driver to return us 50 rs back. After handing over the money to driver, he simply said he doesn't have 50 rs to return. And we were like - (Loud and surprised) Whattttt??????? Come on you got to be kidding us, how you cannot have 50 rs change? Finally rushing through nearby shops we somehow managed to get change, few mins left to board the train, and we started running. To make things worse, the train that normally comes on 1st platform was standing on 2nd platform that day. That means additional time and effort to climb the bridge.  We thought better to avoid looking at watch and just try our best to catch the train.
Take a pause
I know you all want to know whether we actually boarded the train and here I kill the suspense, Yessssssssss, we boarded the train. And after boarding the train, the happiness that we felt could have been compared to some winner at London Olympics game.

Over to TMD!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ups & Downs!!

Gangubai wala Safed

The Sky is Pink